Canungra is a charming country town located in the Scenic Rim region of Queensland, Australia. Surrounded by picturesque mountains and forests, it offers a perfect getaway for nature lovers and anyone looking to escape the hustle and bustle of the city. Canungra is known for its historic buildings, local produce, and friendly locals.
There are plenty of things to do in Canungra, from one creek crossing, rock hopping, exploring the natural beauty of the area, West Canungra Creek circuit creek crossings to visiting local wineries and tasting delicious foods. Whether you’re looking for a relaxing weekend away or an action-packed adventure, Canungra has something to offer for everyone. In this article, we’ll explore some of the top things to do when visiting this quaint country town.
Canungra: 10 Things to Do When Visiting This Quaint Country Town
Here are 10 things to do when visiting Canungra:
- Visit O’Reilly’s Canungra Valley Vineyards – This family-owned winery produces award-winning wines and offers tastings and tours of their vineyards.
- Go on a bushwalk in Lamington National Park – This stunning rainforest is home to a variety of hiking trails, including the famous Border Track.
- Take a hot air balloon ride – Experience the breathtaking views of the Scenic Rim from high above in a hot air balloon.
- Explore the Canungra Heritage Trail – Take a walk through the town’s history, Box Forest circuit creek crossing, and visit green mountains section, blue pool, historic buildings and landmarks.
- Go on a scenic drive – Take a drive through the surrounding countryside and enjoy the stunning scenery.
- Visit the Canungra Art Gallery – This gallery features works by local artists and hosts regular exhibitions.
- Go horse riding – Experience the beauty of the region on horseback with a guided trail ride.
- Try some local produce – Canungra is home to a range of local producers, including honey, cheese, and chocolate makers.
- Go on a 4WD adventure – Explore the rugged terrain of the Scenic Rim in a 4WD vehicle.
- Attend a local event – Canungra hosts a range of events throughout the year, including markets, festivals, and sporting events. Check out the local calendar to see what’s on during your visit.
What Is Canungra Known For?
Canungra is known for its picturesque location in the Scenic Rim region of Queensland, Australia. The town is surrounded by stunning mountains, forests, and farmland, making it a popular destination for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts. Canungra is also known for its rich history, with many historic buildings and landmarks scattered throughout the town.
The town is home to a number of local producers, including vineyards, honey, cheese, and chocolate makers, and is known for its delicious local produce. Canungra is a popular spot for adventure activities, such as bushwalking, hot air ballooning, horse riding, and 4WD adventures. The town also hosts a range of events throughout the year, including markets, festivals, and sporting events.
What Is the History of Canungra?
Canungra has a rich history dating back to the early 1800s when it was first explored by Europeans. The name “Canungra” is believed to be derived from an Aboriginal word meaning “place of the owl”. The area was initially used for timber cutting and farming, and the town began to develop in the late 1800s when gold was discovered in nearby areas.
The first hotel in Canungra, the Canungra Hotel, was built in 1890, and the town soon became a popular stopover point for travelers heading to the goldfields. During this time, many historic buildings were constructed, including the Canungra School of Arts, which was built in 1911.
During World War II, Canungra was home to a large military base known as the Canungra Army Barracks. The base was used for jungle training by the Australian Army, and many soldiers trained there before being sent to fight in the Pacific.
After the war, Canungra returned to its agricultural roots, with dairy farming and fruit growing becoming the main industries. In recent years, tourism has become an increasingly important part of the local economy, with visitors drawn to the town’s natural beauty and rich history.
Today, Canungra is a vibrant country town, with a population of around 1,500 people. Many of the town’s historic buildings have been preserved, and the area is a popular destination for tourists and day trippers looking to explore the Scenic Rim region of Queensland. Tourists can enjoy few creek crossings, Lamington National Park road and more.
You May Also Like…